...You are in: Asociación Balcarce> Balcarce> Tourist Information> The City


Liberty Square:

Like a typical city of the Buenos Aires Province, the city of Balcarce concentrates its greater daily activity around the main square, which occupies a surface greater than 4 hectares with linden trees and pines that have a nice shade, colourful landscape and a special smell during most part of the year. Its small squares in the park, lampposts and statues are covered with flowerbeds that add romantic style to this walk.

In the decade of the 30 Architect Francisco Salamote redesigned the square responding to the Art Decó style, like several of the buildings that surround it. Their statues respond to a series made in France and represent the "art", the "romanticism", the "zoo", the "love" and the "feelings".

In its central roundhouse is a retort of the Pyramid of May, the one that was constructed as of 1885.

The square is the axis of the Balcarce´s life, where the main celebrations of the city take place and where some craftswork settle.
     
     

Art-Decó:

During the decade of the 30`s, the Arq. Francisco Salamote made more than seventy works in the Province of Buenos Aires. His work was characterized by the use of a geometric language, combining flat and horizontal strips, vertical and flat striate of curved lines. Balcarce still concentrates a set of constructions of this nature, being still on the old Municipal Slaughter House, the High School School Nº1, the Municipal Cemetery and the Liberty Square like outstanding buildings of the city.
     
     

San José Church:

In front of the Liberty Square is the San José Church that was inaugurated officially May 25th, 1886 and rebuild in 1934. Its vestibule shines a brown facade of Roman style that rises in two towers with a high bell tower and clock in each one of them.

In its interior are three ships in whose central ship six artistic arches are located that maintain the massive columns of the temple. The church is ornamented with fine French vitrax with Biblical figures. The Greater Altar has been constructed with marbles from Carrara and others were brought from Africa and San Luis (calle 18 e/Uribru y 15).
     
     

Brigadier General Antonio González Balcarce Monument:

This monument was made in bronze by Hidelberg Ferrino, and finished in 1965 in commemoration to the 100 years of the foundation of the County of Balcarce. This sculpture is maintained by means of a stone base in whose inferior part is an illuminated font that does iy to the beauty of the monument. (Av. del Valley and 16)
 
 
 
 





Extend
Map
House of Culture:

It is an old large house that dates from 1889 and has been declared of artistic-architectonic interest. At the present time places the Undersecretary's Office of Culture and Education of the Municipality of Balcarce in where the Association of Craftsmen of Balcarce counts on a space of exhibitions and sales.

In it daily take place different conferences, training and exhibitions in the field of the culture, the arts and music (Uriburu 738).
 
 
 
 





Extend
Map
Fangio’s Family House:

Located in the old "street of carts", by where the retailers and passengers were transferred to the old Railway Station is the paternal house of the five times formula one champion of the world Don Juan Manuel Fangio, where habitually resided when arrived at his city until his last days of life.

It is a very simple house, about simple facade and without great ostentations. It was constructed by Don Loreto Fangio, father of the fifth world-wide champion. This house has been declared of Tourist Interest and Municipal Patrimony (calle 13 e/8 y 6)
 
 
 
 





Extend
Map
“El Triunfo” Municipal Park:

It is a natural park of 21 hectares that is located in the South area of the city and is covered by an important forest with eucalyptus, pines and shrubs. It is an excellent scene for the practice of trekking and mountain bike. Children have areas for sports practice, games and furnaces.

Within this green park, the visitor will find a magnificent constructed natural amphitheatre in an old quarry of which many of the materials for the first constructions of the city were extracted. On May 22nd of 1960 was inaugurated this amphitheatre called "Roberto Cambaré" in memory of the Balcarce´s musician, whose scene has marched past the main Argentine musicians in the old Festival del Canto Argentino and the Celebration of Motoring at the present time. By the amphitheatre is located a “pulpería” that remembered the name of Balcarce´s payador "Carlos Cabrera".

We recommend for you to go into the winding ascending ways of the park, on automobile or on foot, to find excellent panoramic views of the city and the mountain ranges that surround it. (Av. Suipacha and Cereijo)
 
 
 
 





Extend
Map
Municipal Historial Museum:

In the middle of the leafy vegetation of the Cerro El Triunfo Park is the Municipal Historical Museum that first opened on August 31st, 1998. This museum has several dedicated rooms to conserve the historical-cultural patrimony of the county and also has temporally exhibitions (Av. Suipacha and 35).
 
 
 
 





Extend
Map

Municipal Sports Complex:

Located in a wonderfull natural place to the bottom of the Mountain range La Bachicha, this complex offers to the tourist the alternatives to enjoy outdoors activities. Has a large swimming pool and fields of soccer, basket ball, tennis, paddle, tennis wall and volley ball.

If the visitors wish, there are 74 furnaces available in order to cook the most famous Argentinean cook: “asado”. It is an ideal space for little kids, with games and great green surfaces for the relaxation. The complex also has snack bar, restaurant and ball room for celebrations (route 55 km 63.5)